A right brained athlete in a left brained sport

Left Brain
Logical, Sequential, Rational, Analytical, Objective, Looks at parts

Right Brain
Random, Intuitive, Holistic, Synthesizing, Subjective, Looks at wholes

I've kinda enjoyed these last couple weeks that my HR monitor has been in the Polar fix it shop. Sometimes I'd rather just train to train and enjoy what I'm doing - going on feeling and the perceived rather than the precise and finite. And don't take this as a lax attitude ‘cause I'm still one competitive SOB, but sometimes I just enjoy the workout, the challenge and the overall feeling of accomplishment when I'm done. I don't always want to break it all down and go into deep analysis. For me the answers aren't always in the minutia and it seems like in the times when I think they are I get hit with all kinds of angst, frustration and anxiety because it’s not the way I'm wired. Its one of the reasons I took the plunge and got a coach - I have someone else to do all the math for me. All I have to do is go out and run or pedal. It's really helped me lately to keep reminding myself - that all this training and racing is something that I get to do and not something that I have to do. Something to enjoy and not something that is necessary.

- Him

Comments