Schrodinger's foot

Schmitty is STILL recovering from his stress fracture. No Bruckelaufe Half Marathon this weekend. No Naperville Half Marathon in November. In fact, time was running out on Schmitty to get in fighting shape for the WDW Marathon in January. So I tried switching my registration to the half instead.  However, with both races being sold out, "the most magical place on Earth" told me - bibbidi bobbidi, um no.

Which made this Mouseketeer just a little sad (they did say I could defer to 2015...so not a total loss). 

So now Schmitty has no carrot. #nomotivation #mytrainingblows

I haven't run a step in 8 weeks and I don't feel any discomfort in my foot when I walk. So am I recovered? Am I all healed? I'm not quite sure. As long as I don't run the status of my foot remains the same. That is to say -- I am recovering. And I have grown to be fine with that. "Recovering" has kind of a positive vibe to it.

But what If I do run and I feel pain? If I feel pain that means I'm still "injured." And that, well that is just all kinds of sucky.

 So do I try to run or not? Hmmm....I am terming this quandary, "Schrodinger's Foot."

Wait, what?!

(WARNING: SCIENCE AHEAD)

What is "Schroginger's Foot?" -- well that theory doesn't exist, I bent another theory to fit my situation. The original theory, or thought experiment, is called "Schrodinger's Cat" devised by Austrian physicist Erwin Schrödinger in 1935 to describe another paradox that is all science and junk.

Anyway, the scenario presents a cat that may be both alive and dead, depending on an earlier random event....eh, let Sheldon explain it to you...


So as you see, Schmitty can be thought of as both injured and recovered. It is only by going out on my first run that I will find out which it is. An injury paradox, indeed. 

Comments