Update Part 2

So I go to see Dr. Larry Svihlik - a chiropractor / sports doctor in Brookfield, Il. Dr. Larry has a long history of treating athletes with particular specialty in endurance athletes and has a long history of going to and volunteering at the Ironman World Championships in Kona. Why go see a chiropractor for ITBS? Well the good doctor practices ART. Its muscle manipulation therapy and it works. Its hurst like an SOB but it works. Its not a miracle cure but ART along with the usual rest, ice, anti-inflammatorys and such speeds up recovery. I was able to get in three quality sessions before having to head out last week and this week (work then holidays). Am I healed? Don't know. I haven't checked. I haven't run a step since that fateful Saturday (oh the drama). I'm not in any pain just walking around and that's a good thing.

So, I've taken a step back and jumped into my off-season a month ahead of schedule. I've gone kicking and screaming into my de-conditioning cycle. For many endurance athletes our seasons are made of training macro, meso and microcycles to get us ready for and through a season. This is called periodization training. I think this may be the first time I've really taken it seriously and the first time its landed right at the holidays. So I intend to do some serious damage next week.

-Him

Comments