Double Whammy

Whew!  It's been a while since I've been on here.  I wish I could tell you that it's because I went on a wonderful vacation, the workouts have been going according to schedule, and I just haven't had time to blog about it, but sadly that's not true.  We did leave on a wonderful vacation at Disney, but unfortunately I got sick about two days into the trip.  First it was pinkeye, then it was a terrible sore throat, then it turned into a horrible viral infection/sinus infection that just kicked my butt!!!  I'm pretty sure I haven't been that sick for years.  And it happened despite the fact that I was diligent about taking my Airborne, using Purell, washing my hands and not touching my face!  The vacation was pretty much a blur as I was just wanting to be home in my bed sleeping.  Sadly, I was only able to get in two short runs while I was in the warm Florida sun.  That's okay though, I'll catch up on workouts when I get home....

Or not.  We got home a week ago, and I've spent the entire last week still trying to get over this nasty sickness.  I missed three more days of work on top of the week I was off for vacation, and four more days of Ironman training.  It's been a rough time for sure, but I am just happy beyond belief to finally be on the road to recovery and feeling well enough to get back to some training.  I am definitely feeling frantic that I am nearly two full weeks of training behind my Ironman group, but know I've still got the time (six months from yesterday!) to get myself ready for the big race.

So what's ahead for this Ironman in training?  We finish up our "strength" training block this week before having a rest week the week of the 21st.  My goal is to get in every last minute of training the rest of this month.  I am also dialing in the nutrition starting next week, although I don't think I gained much during my layoff due to the fact that NOTHING sounded good to me while I was sick.  Nevertheless, I'm going to start back on a modified elimination diet on Monday, cutting out gluten, artificial sweeteners, processed sugar, and increasing fruits, veggies and other whole foods.  I can't wait to feel good again.

Before I sign off from this LONG post, I want to give a shout out to my IronSpouse for putting up with my miserable self for the last two weeks.  14 years ago we said "for better or worse" and this sickness was definitely in the "worse" category, especially because I turn into a whiny, grumpy baby when I'm sick!  Thanks buddy!

- Her

Comments