You win, Old Man Winter, you win....

I did a 10 mile run last Sunday in "feels like" 7 degree temps on roads that were still slick from our first big (kind of) snowfall of the winter.  Sounds crazy, you say?  Well, to me that's not as crazy as doing a 10 mile long run on the treadmill.

I think I've written about my disdain for the treadmill here before.  I will run outside in just about anything before I get on the treadmill.  But this week I gave in and ran on the treadmill, not once, but twice!  With "feels like" temps in the negatives, and on-and-off snow all week, I just had to draw the line.  And yes, it was just about as horrible as I expected.

I did much better with this morning's workout though, which was full of "fast turnover" intervals.  It seems that it helps me to stay focused on executing a work out with timed intervals, rather than the fact that I'm running but not going anywhere (seriously, how can that be fun?!).  If anyone has any tips for passing the time on the treadmill, PLEASE let me know!

Since this is what my running route currently looks like....




...I see a lot more treadmill runs in my near future!  But as they say, "if you can't beat 'em join 'em!"  So when I got home from work a little early tonight, I grabbed my pup and we went out to play in the snow.  It was the most fun I've had in the snow for a long, long time!  He spent an hour playing fetch and burying his ball in the snow....over and over and over.  I shoveled our sidewalk and the common sidewalk and am pretty sure I won't be able to walk tomorrow.  Strength training for today?  CHECK!

Hope everyone stays warm and safe!

- HER

Comments