IronFish Out of Water



Just as I was getting more consistent (and thus faster!) with my swimming, I've been sidelined.  Bummer.



Source: Fish Out of Water from Walt Disney's Chicken Little

After two great swims last week, we headed to the pool on Saturday for our "optional" swim of the week.  It was only an easy 30 minutes, with lots of drills and technique work.  I somewhat remember a little water sneaking into my left ear at the beginning of the swim.  I thought, "ouch, that hurt" but then didn't think anything of it until about two hours post swim, as I was snuggled up on the couch drinking red wine and watching Smash (which, by the way, you should totally check out!).  Suddenly I couldn't hear anything out of my left ear!

Commence the hopping around on my left foot and shaking my head.  Smacking myself in the head and sleeping all night with my left ear down to the pillow.  It didn't help.  Yesterday I moved on to trying SwimEar (basically a hydrogen peroxide mixture) and a heating pad.  Still no good and the pain got worse.  So I headed to the doctor this morning.

"You have an outer ear infection."

Seven days of ear drops, while keeping my ear dry, and I should be as good as new.  Of course that means no swimming for a while.  As soon as it feels back to normal, I can try swimming with ear plugs but I expect that to be at least this weekend.  So bummed, but I know it could be worse.

Why is it that as soon as someone tells you that you can't do something it's the only thing that you want to do?  Well, at least there are three sports in triathlon so I have two back-ups!  I guess it's time to work on that running and biking!

- HER

Comments