My Achilles Heel

Literally.  My achilles heel (the right one, to be exact) is my achilles heel.  It all started back in 2002, about three weeks before I was to run my first marathon.  The tightness....so painful it felt like the achilles might snap when trying to walk or run.  With some rest, ice and ibuprofen, I was able to recover enough to run the marathon, but it has never been quite the same since.

I've been very lucky the last couple of years to be fairly injury free.  Other than the typical aches and pains you get with endurance training, I haven't had much to complain about.  I had a good feeling going into this year too, especially after I increased the amount of strength/core work I am doing.  But Friday afternoon (on a rest day of all days!) I started to feel that familiar tightness in my right ankle.

I guess Mr. Achilles isn't happy that I haven't been paying enough attention to stretching.  Although able to train through my long workouts this past weekend, it was so tight by Monday morning that I've decided to give it the attention it clearly wants.  So, new plan for this week.  No running until a short test run Friday morning.  Icing will happen 4-5 times a day (yes, even at work!).  And stretching as tolerated, especially the calves (they are tiiiiiiight).  Hopefully this will get me back to running in no time at all.  Friday morning's test run will determine if I attempt the long run on Saturday.  Fingers crossed.  I was just starting to make some great progress with my running and it's a HUGE bummer to have to sit out a week now.  But better a week than a month...or two....or three.  In the meantime I'll swim and bike, which will be super fun anyway because.....

I got a new tri bike last night!  Pics to come soon. :)

Happy Training!

- HER

Comments