This is LITERALLY one of the best things for your innards

This blog post is *literally* one of the best ever!
2012 Ironman training really messed with Schmittys innards.

I was making far too many withdrawals on my system and not enough deposits. Or the right kind of deposits. It was all I could do to keep from losing too much weight so I was eating anything in our pantry that wasn't nailed down. In the process I was stripping away all the good stuff in my system and putting subpar crap back - just to fill the void. Without sifting through the details my nutritional deficiencies began taking a toll internally and as a result began to show signs externally.

It was a bit of a process to get myself back right.

Along the way I happened upon this article in Triathlete about pro Triathlete Rich Roll and his daily and performance plant based diet. A little too extreme and kale-y for me (Schmitty requires that at least 35% of what he eats to have had parents...and 10% be made up of Twizzlers). But the one things that caught my eye from Rich's daily routine was the "cold distilled water with 2T apple cider vinegar upon waking."

What was this mystery elixir he spoke of? I hopped on the keyboard, did the Google dance and discovered that it's not just any old Apple Cider Vinegar (or ACV to us aficionados) but specifically, Bragg's All Natural Organic Apple Cider Vinegar with "The Mother" -- which is some strand of protein enzyme that's all healthy and sciencey and biology and junk. It makes the ACV all cloudy but that's where all the good stuff is. 

So what does it do. From the BRAGG website - APPLE CIDER VINEGAR: Helps Remove Body Toxins * Helps Promote a Youthful Body *Helps support a healthy immune system * Helps Maintain Healthy Skin * Helps Control Weight * Improves Digestion and Assimilation * Soothes Tight and Aching Joints and Sore Muscles from exercise * Soothes irritated skin.

Sounds like an infomercial. And trust me, Schmitty can be the worst type of bitter, skeptical consumer. But ACV is as old as time. And while I'm a believer in holy church of bleach and hand sanitzer, I just deplore drugs. In fact my system was so screwed at the time that I was begrudgingly put on some hard core drug for a short period to clear some stuff up....and that drug gave me a rash (naturally)...so I had to be put on more drugs to clear that up (seriously, WTH?!). Round about that time I read the article, did my research...BAM, sold! All aboard the ACV train!

I wish I could tell you that it tastes like magic and happiness and rainbows but it's downright terrible. (hello, it's vinegar...it's right in the name). Bragg recommends combining with honey. Honey is for the weak. I say nut up, combine with 10-12 oz of water, grab hold of something and throw it back. I started with just the morning. It was all I could take to control my gag reflex. Now I'm up to two or three times a day like a champ. Added benefit...I'm drinking more water.

And I can tell you my system is as right as rain. Seriously. I have never felt better. And my coat has never been shinier and thicker. Um wait, no, that's from my new milk bones.

-HIM

Comments