Checking in on recovery day #3

Hi all! Thanks to everyone for your kind thoughts and prayers before my surgery last Friday. I definitely felt the love!

Just a quick check in today because, to be completely honest, it's not all rainbows and butterflies over here at the moment. I try to stay as positive as I can, but I also need to be real about how I'm feeling. And the past few days have been a challenge, both physically and mentally.

Physically, I'm in a great deal of pain mostly because of the fat donor sites (AKA, where they did liposuction). It hurts to sit down or try to stand up straight or try to get into/out of bed. In a million years I can't imagine why anyone would choose to do this for cosmetic reasons. I also haven't had much relief from having the expanders removed because my plastic surgeon went with a larger size implant (made the call in the OR) which is causing more stretching of the pec. Pair that with the compression surgical bra I have to wear 24/7 and I'm pretty much as miserable if not more miserable than my last surgery. I'm also having an allergic reaction to the Norco (NOOOOO!!!), which is currently manifesting itself in a bright red rash and a healthy dose of nausea.

Mentally this has all been a strain because this surgery was always built up as "the last step" and "super easy" compared to the initial mastectomy. Let me tell you there is nothing easy about this....at three hours long and with five+ different incisions, this was still a major surgery! And the other bad news...I'm still not done. He didn't get enough fat to fill in all of my concave spots and I have a major fold (that I affectionately call my "third armpit") that needs to be dealt with in another procedure.

So that's my sad (but honest) story for today. Hopefully next time I check in I will be back to my positive and cheery self! At least the weather seems to be turning around, so I just might be able to walk down to the end of the block today. That might be just what I need to turn things around. Have a good week!

-- HER

Comments

Evan said…
Hang in there Jen!! We're all routing for you!
J2 said…
Thank you Evan! I so appreciate your continued support!