Monday Scramble - June 2, 2014

Wow. May ran through the Triathlife like a freight train.

Leaps forward in training volume...lots of travel for HER...and home owners association stories that will leave the intestinally weak with a case of the vapors.

I'm glad it's over. But that doesn't mean it was all bad...

The stars at night, are big and bright....
Team Chandler getting it done at IMTX
Ironman Texas (May 17th) - Team Schmitty got the summa started a little early with a trip down to Houston in support of Team Chandler and their lone star state Ironman pursuits (that's them - Kevin and Megan >>).

The race takes place in an area of Houston called The Woodlands. Lots of paths...very easy to get about on foot. The spectator friendly course in and around the swim and run made for a very full and very fun day. And while I'd love to tell you more about hanging out with Kevin's brother Brian and our all-access VIP spectator passes (compliments of Waste Management -- sponsor), I'd rather tell you about super triathlete Megan.

Here's the elevator version of the story....Two weeks prior to the race Megan took a bit of a spill down some stairs and broke her wrist...immediate trip to the Doctor...Dr says option 1: cast 6-8 weeks and no Ironman:( ...Dr says option 2: surgery then *maybe* Ironman Texas...Megan says "yay surgery!"...Doctor got her in that afternoon sending Megan home with a plate and (I think) 9 pins...yada, yada, yada and two weeks later Megan is toeing the line at Ironman Texas with a wrist brace and an ear-to-ear permasmile. Credit to Kevin for staying right next to Megan in the open water (which is next to nearly impossible to do for 2.4 miles). Credit to them both for making it to the finish just as they started the day - together.

I'm certain that story will get Megan a lifetime of free drinks at most pubs and or endurance event after parties. Team Schmitty salutes Team Chandler - Saaaa-lute!

Where in the world is Jennifer?
Best buds
Jen spent most of May winging it cross continent for extended business trips to Salt Lake, Phoenix and Orlando leaving me and Lance to fend for ourselves. And the entire time Jen is away it's all drama here at casa de Schmitty as one of us is completely inconsolable, won't eat his food, hardly sleeps and lays in front of the door crying. And the other is a dog without a worry in the world;)

But seriously, Lance is a completely different doggie when Jen is away. And it was made worse by my training volume ticking up and up during the month...which of course means two-a-days. Not only am I working all day but I'm leaving him in the AM and PM to do whatever swim, bike or run is on the schedule. So I found myself skipping my planned Well-Fit Ironman group training workouts, opting to stay closer to home so I didn't have to leave my boy alone for any longer than necessary.

Yeah, I get it, he's just a dog and I may be transferring some of my human feelings onto him (read, guilt) but I would like to think that he actually does like to have me around -- which is probably not the case for most humans that know me;) But at the end of the day Jen is his real buddy and when she finally walks through the door Lance absolutely loses his puppy mind.

Calories don't count at the movie theater.
10PM show requires energy...lots of energy
Going out to the movies tends to fall way far down on the bottom of the list of things to do when living The Triathlife. Fortunately I am never far behind in my screen watching time thanks to the Apple TV and the many hours spent on the bike trainer. But I still do loves me the cinematic experience and I make it a point to get out of the house for certain IT movies...especially those of the "geek" persuasion, to it, X-Men: Days of Future Past. 10PM opening night show at the Muvico in Rosemont with good, best, better friend and movie aficionado John. If you haven't seen it, what are you possibly waiting for?! And to those that have...one word: Quicksilver. Best sequence in any movie I've seen in a long time.

A little Schmitty advice when it comes to home owners associations....
Never have a falling out with your property manager in the middle of Ironman training. That's all that I can legally say about that.

-HIM.




Comments

Megan said…
Thanks for the shout out!!! Texas was a blast! Thank you SO much again for coming out!!! It meant so much!