TBT - November 20, 2014

Throw Back Thursday

Let's jump in the way back machine and set the dials to August 22, 1992.

Schmitty's first road race ever - The Crim 10 Miler in downtown Flint, Michigan.

I finished in something like 1:20:43. An 8:04 per mile pace. With little to no training. Ahhhh youth.

I was between my sophomore and junior years of college and was still living at home with my parents. Their home is located in a looped part of a subdivision -- .7 miles around. Occasionally I would head out late at night after school and work (but before Letterman) and I would get in three loops...and I thought I was some kind of something. A whole 2.1 miles. Sheesh, a 10 mile road race? Piece o' cake.

Occasionally I would even run holding my walkman and my summer jams mixed cassette tape.

Cassette tape.

One that I "mixed" together. Using multiple other cassette tapes.

I may have used a dual cassette recorder. But I also may have put one cassette player next to another cassette player. Pushing down the play button on one whilst also pushing down the play AND record button on the other.

Cassette. Tape.

I ran in Nike Pegasus. My first running shoe. Really my only running shoe. I have experimented with so many other running shoes over the years but I have always come back to my first love. I still wear Nike Pegasus. Go me.

And how about that race kit? With my Napoleon complex ("I am not a small!") three sizes too big for Schmitty tank top and cut off sweatpants. All cotton too. From the "whatever is in my closet" collection. You can run in it. You can go outside and mow the lawn in it. And everything in between.

Ignorance! I wish it were all still just that simple. No training plans. No coaches (except you, coach Liz). No sun block. No watch. No warm up. Nutrition? What's that? You mean, are we stopping at Taco Bell afterward? All right then sign me up.

-- HIM.

Comments