The Greatest Generation

I had the chance to go up and see my grandparents yesterday. My grandpa turns 90 this year and my grandma turns 88. They have four boys, 16 grandchildren and 15 great grandchildren. Although they can barely comprehend it, they love to hear about my races. I do my best to put in into context and I know they like to hear my stories but I can't help but think how ridiculous I sound. I talk about my struggles and how much time I spend and how it all makes me feel and then I think about them at my age. They had grown up during the depression, my grandpa went to war, they started and ran a general store and service station and ran it for 40 years and sacrificed a ton along they way to make sure that their sons and their families had a good life. I know they love me and love to get my updates but how trivial is all this training and racing in context and comparison to their life.

Don't mean to be depressing. I'll try to balance the out with a nonsense post before the end of the day.

- Him.

Comments