When Life Gets in the Way...Lessons Learned

I realize that I haven't been a very good blogger lately. But sometimes life just gets in the way. Yes, sometimes life gets in the way and you just have to let it go. That's the lesson I'm learning right now.

The past month has been a whirlwind of work, travel (for work), training, racing and the nightmare of trying to secure financing for our new townhome. For a Type A+++ personality like me, the convergence of so many things at one time can lead to a very bad downward spiral. To keep your head above water when life throws so many things at you at once, you HAVE TO be able to let something go. And a perfectionist like me is not willing to do that. I must be the perfect employee. The perfect athlete. The perfect wife. The perfect daughter/sister. But when life gets in the way it's just not possible.

So, in my quest for perfection if I can't be perfect at everything than I just want to quit. I want to quit work. I want to quit training. I want to stay at home and lay on the couch until it all goes away. During the past month I've been going through the motions of training, but not enjoying any of it. I'd gotten to the point where I was quitting in the middle of workouts. I even raced and didn't enjoy it (leading to less than stellar results). Luckily I have a great support system, and after a lot of encouragement and advice from my awesome hubby and coach, I am back on track again. Before I let myself slip into that downward spiral again, I want to document some of my lessons learned this past month, some big and some small, so here goes:

1. I can not be perfect. Nobody expects me to be perfect. Period.
2. I need to look at the positive in everything instead of dwelling on the negative. There is positive in every situation. Seek it out and build on it.
3. Do not make a mountain out of a molehill. One night without a homemade dinner or missed intervals during a track workout do not make me a bad wife or athlete.
4. I am in control of my life and how I react to situations. I need to choose sleep, choose to eat healthy and choose to keep my work stress to a minimum.
5. Know that life WILL get in the way and be prepared to adapt. Life can't be scheduled (but wouldn't it be oh so great if it could be!...ok, maybe not).
6. Triathlon is an outdoor sport and you are at the whim of Mother Nature. Be prepared and take extra food and garbage bags to races whether the sun is shining when you leave or not! :)

So, on to having some fun and not taking myself so seriously! In order to do that we are headed to Nashville this weekend to visit some of our nearest and dearest friends and run the Music City 4th of July 10k! Yee haw!

- Her

Comments