Return to Marathon Training

Sorry, but I'm having a hard time getting back here to blog it seems. I'm not sure what it is...lack of time? pressure to write something "good"? absence of anything important to say? feeling that no one is reading anyway?! I'm not sure, but I pledge to write more often. For all three of you that really do read this blog (hi Nathan!).

Well, I'm in my fourth week of marathon training. Phew! Where does the time go? I have not gotten into any of the real heavy stuff yet, but it's a comin'. I had really gotten back into a groove with my training and nutrition, but found myself sidelined by a cold this past week. It's funny. When I'm tri training I don't fret over a missed workout here or there. But with marathon training, it's totally different. I go into absolute PANIC mode when I miss a workout...especially a long run like I did this past weekend (due to the aforementioned cold). I guess this distance still scares me. Which, for a completer like me, is what I need to stay motivated. It is a little strange to go back to being a pure runner though. I haven't been on my bike since the end of September and have only hit the pool once. Yikes! I have found the gym and have increased my strength/core training though. So, I'm making progress. And the best news of all is that I'm having fun again! Speaking of fun...

There is a local 5k/10k in Oak Park this weekend -- the Frank Lloyd Wright Races. We'll be doing the race with some friends and then having folks over for brunch afterward. I can't think of any better way to spend a Sunday. And for once, I have absolutely ZERO pressure going into this race. I was planning to do the 10k, but since I need to get a 12-miler in the day before (due to my missed run this past weekend) I've downgraded to the 5k. I have absolutely no speed in my legs right now, so this really will be a 5k purely for fun. Ask me how much fun I'm having at Mile 3 on Sunday. :)

Okay, that's it for now. Random musings from my triathlife (or is it my marathlife now?). Hope all's well out there in blogland!

Happy Training!

- Her

Comments