Holiday Recovery Plan

When I started writing on this blog again in late November/early December I had grand plans of starting my IM training, eating clean and building a solid base throughout the month of December.  The reality?  I got caught up in the holidays, ate dinners out with friends, went to parties, ate a ton of sweets and drank a bunch of wine.  I maintained about 4-5 workouts per week -- really pretty decent for most people -- but not enough for an IM in training.  When I realized that I was getting caught up in the holiday frenzy, I started to panic a bit.  But then I realized that I am going to have to give up my life for the next nine months and decided to just enjoy it while I could.  And did I ever!  But as I sit here on the eve of 2011...my Ironman year!....I need to get serious about a holiday recovery plan.  Starting tomorrow...

- I will follow a winter maintenance plan from Beginner Triathlon to build the base for when my formal program starts (in FOUR weeks...gulp!)
- start cleaning up my diet in preparation for a nutrition cleanse that begins Saturday, Jan. 8 (can't wait to blog about this!)
- go to personal training at least once a week to get stronger in preparation for the heavy training volume to come
- try to get at least 7.5 or 8 hours of sleep per night

No more excuses, no more time to waste....it's time to get going!

I did get in my last workout of 2010 this morning.  I was soooo excited to go run outside, given the fluke 50 degree day that we are experiencing.  However, when it was time for me to head out the door at 6am it was thundering and lightening.  So I headed to the gym instead and got in my first "long-ish" treadmill run of the winter.  Blech.  I have no idea how people run on the treadmill all the time.  It's so boring and monotonous and makes my gait all wonky.  No fun at all.  But at least I got it done, which is a step in the right direction!

Hope everyone has a safe and fun New Year's Eve!  We'll be hitting the hay before the clock strikes midnight, so we can be at the gym when it opens at 7am tomorrow.  Lame, but such is the life of this Ironman in training. :)

- Her

Comments