Training like a 6 year old little girl...or Rocky

So my IT band syndrome continues to sideline my running and cycling (although I'm on the road to recovery). One of the side affects of not running or biking is that I am putting in serious gym time working on weight assisted improvements to my physical make up - so that just maybe I stay injury free (fingers crossed) and so that I can look less weasel like (also fingers crossed). The other is that my pores, now more than usual, vent the sweet aroma of chlorine from all the pool time I've been putting in. Which makes me wonder...what the hell do real swimmers smell like? I mean if its on my this strong after like 4 hours a week what is it like to marinate in it for two to three hours a day, six days a week? I can't imagine that you could even cover it up. Do you treat it like getting skunked and take a shower in tomato juice? But that's not why you called....

So other than the pool I'm desperately looking for an endurance activity that also doesn't require my knee to flex past 20-30 degrees repetitively (IT after all is a friction injury as opposed to a pull or a strain...that's what she said!). Enter the jump rope. Minimal equipment and I can perform the exercise in my own home basking in the comforting glow of the TV. 

When I was a kid (back in the days when kids played....for real...outside) it wasn't out of the ordinary to see little girls skipping rope (don't get into a gender thing here just go with me), laughing, running, skipping alone, skipping with friends.....so how hard can it really be? Well I found this morning that It. Will. Kick. Your. Ass. That is if you can go long enough without stepping on the rope...tripping yourself with the rope...or slapping the back of your bald ass head with the rope. I mean I totally had these visions of channeling my inner prize fighter and get in a rhythm and enjoy catching up on Letterman all while getting an "adequate" workout in. Now I fear for my calves and for what they will feel like tomorrow as I fall helplessly to the floor trying to get out of bed in the morning.

- Him

Comments