The Good. The Bad. The Ugly. - It's Back!

It's been a while, but now that the hubby and I have gotten back into serious training mode, it's time to bring back our weekly The Good. The Bad. And The Ugly.  So without further ado....

The Good.
Her: Getting healthy and finding my workout mojo again.  When you get as sick as I was, it feels SO good just to be healthy again.  I hit nearly all of my workouts this week, ending with a monster three hours (2 hour bike/15 minute run brick + 45 minute swim) today.  And I feel good.  Tired, but that's to be expected.

Him: Started Carmichael Training System's Time Crunched Triathlete advanced olympic distance training program this week. I really drink in what Carmichael pours. Not only is he part of the LA brain trust (so I'm biased) but I have really bought into getting rid of silly trash miles and focusing on purposed based workouts. Good times ahead fo sho. (Note: this is a triathlon blog but actually the best part of my week was celebrating the the high holy days of college basketball - two straight days and over 24 hours of bball watched with my good friend John - now those were good times). 

The Bad.
Her: My nutrition.  Despite promising myself that I'd get back to good nutrition post vacation, being sick derailed those plans and I haven't been able to climb out of the hole yet.  This past week included way too much gluten (it makes me sluggish), sugar and caffeine.  Given the demands of training I don't think I'm going to be able to cut out caffeine altogether, but I do need to cut back again.  I also need to add lots more fruits and veggies back into the diet.  I still have at least 10 pounds that I definitely don't need to be hauling up the hills of Wisconsin with me.

Him: Wild and woolly work week (alliteration!). The interwebs is open 24/7. Little sleepy time for this project manager. Caught up with me Saturday afternoon. I'm not one for naps but I had that type of crazy power nap where you wake up and don't know where the hell you are. Then for the rest of the afternoon I was still in a creepy fog like I was certain I woke up and everything around me was changed. I'm still keepin a sharp eye on Jen. She's been acting a little shifty;)

The Ugly.
Her: My Ironman bike/run class on Tuesday night.  Yes, it was my first tough workout after being sick (and off training for nearly two weeks), but my performance was pathetic.  Group workouts bring out the competitor in me and I can't help but compare myself to the other 16 people in the class.  Sometimes this is good because it pushes me, but a lot of time it just puts me into a really negative mental state.  One of the Ironman lessons I am trying my hardest to learn is that this is about ME.  It's not about anyone else.  This is my journey to the finish line.

Him: My brackets. Lots of red. I've initiated life support.

Comments