What I did during my triathlon off season....

Off season is kind of like summer vacation for triathletes.  After months of a rigid training schedule, and "no fun on school nights", you suddenly have all this extra time on your hands and no training schedule to which to be accountable.  This is my last official week of off season, before starting my pre-season schedule next week.  I have enjoyed this off season even more than usual, as it felt absolutely glorious after the high volume training of Ironman.  Here's a look at what I've done on my off season:

- Slept.  A lot.  At least eight hours a night and sometimes nine.  I haven't successfully gotten out of bed before 5am since well before Sept. 11.  Have I ever mentioned how much I love to sleep?

- Rediscovered my love for the kitchen.  I've been cooking a ton and loving every minute of it.  Not only is it fun and relaxing, but it helps me with my weight loss goals as well.  I plan to try my hand at (gluten free) baking next weekend.


- Started taking care of myself again.  I've gotten a couple of hair cuts/color and even a manicure.  Pretty, no?










- Taken lots of family walks.  This is my absolute favorite fall activity and it's been a beautiful year for it.
Could you say no to this face?
 - Watched movies!  Some good, some not so good.  We've seen "Something Borrowed" (loved the book, not so much the movie) and "The King's Speech" (who doesn't love the Royal Family?), and have "Bridesmaids" waiting for us next weekend.  Add a glass of wine, and this is my favorite winter weekend activity.

House Red -- Forest Park, IL

- Speaking of wine...we've started drinking wine again.  This is another favorite fall/winter activity.  We like to go to the local wine store and get recommendations for new wines to try.  Our new go-to wine store is House Red in Forest Park.  They are super helpful and it's such a cute place!







I'm feeling rested, relaxed and ready to get back into a structured training schedule.  I'm starting to make positive changes in my nutrition and that feels really good.  We won't mention that little vanilla cupcake from Magnolia Bakery last week. :)  Ah, that's okay....it's still the off season for one more week, right?!  Relax and enjoy!

- Her

Comments