New Year's Day - Triathlife Style

Happy 2012 Friends!  Since the hubby and I aren't big New Year's Eve fans -- we prefer to ring in the new year in a more low-key fashion -- we like to get up early on New Year's Day and get the new year started on the right (healthy) foot.  Today was no different.

I got up shortly after my alarm went off at 6am to get in my "long" run of the week.  It's a step-back week in my half marathon preparation, so I only had six miles on the schedule.  Good thing, because 2012 greeted us in Chicago with 25mph winds and light snow showers....hello January!  Despite the not-so-great weather, there is nothing like a run on New Year's Day morning.  Most everyone is still sleeping and it's completely peaceful and is the perfect time for self-reflection.  It's my favorite day of the year for a run.  No doubt.  I felt pretty good this morning and was able to keep the pace under 10:30 m/m, which is a pretty decent long run pace for me.

After the run, my wonderful hubby went out to pick up Starbucks (last day for holiday drinks!) and then we had a healthy feast of baked oatmeal and gluten free blueberry muffins. 

The baked oatmeal was also prepared by "HIM" and it was absolutely delicious!  A new recipe that we'll be enjoying lots more of in the future.  It was super easy to prepare the night before and then pop in the oven for 20-25 minutes in the morning.  Thanks to Cassie for the recipe!

The gluten free muffins were made from the King Arthur gluten free muffin mix and I have to say they are some of the best gluten free muffins I've ever had.  You can barely even tell they are GF!!  This was a major win for me considering all of the gluten free baking FAILURES I've had over the past year.


Now we are settled in for the evening and plan to relax and watch a movie before preparing to get back to the grind this week.  Long swim bright and early tomorrow morning!  Hope you all had a wonderful first day of 2012!

- Her

Comments

Julie said…
Oh, yummy! Please share the oatmeal recipe :)