A case of the Mondays

Mondays.....Monday means that I spend the morning sneezing chlorine and the entire day in the pantry trying to fill the post swim hunger vortex. For the better part of the last three years, while the rest of the general triathlon training public takes Monday as their rest day, Coach Liz and Coach Keith strictly believe that Monday is one fine time for a swim. Because nothing says welcome to the start of your work week like crawling out of the wrapper at 4:30 am to jump half naked into a cold box of water. And while there's no love loss between me and swimming, even I can admit that there is something truly satisfying about having a swim workout completed before the week even gets off the ground. But it's not easy. And Monday likes to fight dirty. Like hair pulling, eye scratching, kicking below the belt dirty. Which is why I have Jen.

Jen is in charge of Mondays. I can't trust myself to Monday. In the light of day, Monday cannot hide it's true evil self. But under the cover of pre-dawn, Monday is a succubus -- tempting me with a warm bed and the cool side of the pillow.

Fortunately, for yours truly, Jen is impervious to Monday morning. If Monday is my kryptonite, it's Jen's yellow sun. She rocks Monday and if not for her I wouldn't see Monday morning until it was too late to do anything about it. And today was a great day -- even if it was a Monday (that's right Monday I'm looking right at you) because for the first time in over 4 months, Jen went with me to the pool.

I guess Mondays ain't so bad after all.

- Him

Comments